Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wow, An Occasional Article Can Really Knock You Off Your Feet

Since I got on the north side of 50 I have been immensely interested in world events.  About that time my son-in-law, Howard, suggested I write a personal mission statement.  It was an interesting challenge.  It was a great idea because it caused me to specify what was really important to me.  My final draft was:

"To live the highest quality of life possible by understanding myself, understanding my environment, and bringing the two in harmony."

So to understand my environment I have followed world events, especially as they pertain to economies.  I have studied different economic theories and have even studied the very nature of money and its history.  It is a fascinating subject to me because if you can predict human behavior you can have an edge on the house.  And history provides some pretty good tells.

I have been too busy working and playing the last couple of days but I have followed the news of what is happening in Egypt on the radio while driving.  There is a lot of tension now because of the Suez Canal being a major passageway for goods and Egypt controls the canal, if I'm not mistaken.  Also, we have supported Mubarek with $1 billion per year in military aid for I don't know how long to keep the peace with Israel, which has irritated a lot of the Muslim nations.

So while surfing the net tonight I ran across this article:

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=205931

If you have a couple of minutes you really must read it.  I was quite moved by the whole scene and had to read the article twice.  The way I look at it, it's their country and their problem so they must think they know what is best for themselves.  Let them choose their own path.  I do not fear freedom and I don't believe in bribery.  If you have honor I would think you would want freedom for yourself and respect that same desire in others, no?  

“Those people that say we’re out here because of food or oil prices, that’s not true,” said Osam L. “I have enough to eat, thank God. I’m here for my freedom.”

I say right on!  And don't forget to make freedom legal while you're at it!  Like always, it will only last for awhile but you will have some good times. 

Wow, what an opportunity the US has here to be on the side of real democracy.  Do we REALLY support the people's right to choose their own way?  I think the Egyptian people are calling our bluff.

This is fascinating stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment